PETALUMANS OF YESTERYEAR
1850 - Tom Lockwood establishes a hunting camp on the west bank Petaluma Creek
1852 - Petaluma House, owned by Samuel Terrill, was the first of several hotels to open.
1852 - The Red Jacket is the first steamboat to dock at Petaluma.
1854 - The first stage stop between Petaluma and Sonoma is established by Robertson and Parsons.
1855 - The first newspaper, the Petaluma Journal and Sonoma Advertiser is published.
1858 - Petaluma is incorporated as a chartered city of California on April 28th.
1861 - Petaluma makes its first attempt to take the County Seat away from Santa Rosa.
1863 - The first gas works is built by Peter Donahue at the foot of D Street.
1864 - The Petaluma & Haystack railroad is opened.
1865 - The first bank between San Francisco and Oregon is established by Mr. Isaac
Wickersham on Main Street.
1867 - The first annual exhibition of the Sonoma County Agricultural Society opens
at the Fairgrounds on September 26th.
1870 - Inaugural excursion of the Sonoma County Railroad hosted by Peter Donahue.
1873 - A school for the separate instruction of colored children is presided over by Miss Louisa M. Dixon, also colored.
1877 - The Historical Atlas of Sonoma County, the first county history is published by
Robert A. Thompson.
1879 - The Petaluma Incubator is invented by Mr. Lyman Byce and his associates.
1904 - The first spike for the Petaluma & Santa Rosa Railroad is driven on Copeland
Street at the Steamer Gold wharf.
1911 - The first airmail flight, sanctioned by a local post office, between Petaluma and
Santa Rosa is piloted by Fred J. Wiseman.
1918 - Petaluma is proclaimed The Egg Basket of the World by Bert Kerrigan.
1923 - The world's only institution for the study and treatment of avian pathology -
the Chicken Pharmacy - is opened on Main Street by J. E. Keyes.
1925 - The Jewish Community Center is established.
1956 - The freeway enters Petaluma.
1987 - Optilink, founded by Mr. Don Green, is the first Telecom Valley corporation
to locate in Petaluma.